Reducing your Council Tax charge

By | August 12, 2016

Council Tax demand noticeCouncil Tax is one of those bills that we accept we need to pay but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t try to reduce the charge – there are plenty of legal ways to reduce the charge however many times it’s not clear how this should be done.

Council Tax Liability

Check that you’re actually liable for the charge – many people end up paying council tax charges they’re not actually responsible for.  This recent example could have been resolved with correct advice before it ended up in court.

Council Tax Discounts

Check that you’re getting the right council tax discounts. It’s surprising how many people are not even claiming the most basic discount, the 25% single occupancy discount. Check your local authority website for a full list if discounts.

Council Tax Exemptions

Check that you’re getting the right council tax exemptions. With the reduction in the number of available exemptions over the last few years it’s more important than ever to make sure you get the right exemption – or even the discount which replaced some of these exemptions. Check your local authority website for a full list if exemptions.

Council Tax Empty property

Since the introduction of the empty property premium of (up to) 50% in England it’s important to know how the rules work. Many people pay the premium when they don’t actually need to.

Council Tax penalties

Failure to keep a local authority updated with changes to your circumstances can lead to the issuing of a penalty notice (up to £280 for each one) or even prosecution for fraud.

Advice & Assistance from LGFA92

Good quality help with your Council Tax dispute can be hard to come across – there’s a lack of independent, expert, places where you can get the help you need however LGFA92 are here to change that. See how we can help today

Contact us today. Email us at [email protected], Call our Council Tax helpline on 0191 6451118.

This article is solely the view of LGFA92, the Council Tax experts, based on our interpretation of legislation. Your local authority is free to dispute this view. A binding decision may require the intervention of a valuation tribunal.